Course Code: 916306
This program provides students with advanced instruction in emergency medical care rendered to victims of accidents and illnesses. All the necessary topics and hands-on training for certification are taught.
Prerequisites: 17 years old before September 1, GPA of 2.5, a grade of "C" or higher in Biology. First Responder is a prerequisite requirement for EMT-B. (Offered only to seniors in the afternoons only.)
DE (Dual Enrollment), WBL (Work-based learning), EC (Enriched Credit), IBC (Industry-based Certification)
- Course Description
- (EMT-B) provides students with advanced instruction in emergency medical care rendered to victims of accidents and illnesses. All the necessary topics and hands-on training for EMT-B certification are taught.
- Course Goals
- To successfully complete all requirements for Louisiana State and National Registry EMT-B Certification.
- This course is designed to provide the student with advanced instruction to improve the quality of emergency medical care rendered to victims of accidents and illnesses.
- Topics include anatomy and physiology, disease processes, assessment and patient stabilization, proper use of equipment such as automated external defibrillators, blood glucose monitors, airway adjuncts, extrication, ambulance protocols, and practical skills sessions.
- Reinforced are legal, ethical, medical, and cultural issues, scope of practice, documentation and communication skills, and infection control.
- Major Course Projects
- Didactic hours 130 hours
- Airway A&P 4 hours
- Advanced Airway 6 hours
- Clinical hours 16 hours
- All grades will be determined on a points system. Grades will include quizzes, tests, class work, homework, ride-out experiences, skill performances, practical and written exams
- Textbook: Emergency Care,12th edition, Daniel Limmer