Our first SkillsUSA Activity Day was a big win.
It is wonderful to see students from different schools and classes talking and working together. In the business world we call this networking. Most of our SkillsUSA activities focus on soft skills.
While students were having fun building Lego creations (blindfolded and taking verbal directions) they were practicing communication skills.
Listening and giving clear directions are skills needed in every occupation.
I have been working with high school students for 25 years and am confident that there are people to take our place as productive citizens and leaders.
Students were asked what type of game/activity they would like to have in the future. All ideas were tallied to find the top coices.
In no particular order.
Team building construction activities
FAQ’s from the meeting.
- How many times will we meet? There are usually 4 activity days and a cookout.
- Who gets to vote for the officers? We will have one voting delegate from each class.
- When will the national conference and competion be held? June 20-24, 2022 https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skills-conference/
- What is SkillsUSA? SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. We help each student excel. A nonprofit national education association, SkillsUSA serves middle-school, high-school and college/postsecondary students preparing for careers in trade, technical and skilled service (including health) occupations. from https://www.skillsusa.org/about/
- How many get to compete at Nationals? Only people who have won gold medals at their state competitions will be allowed to compete at nationals. There are around 7000 competitors in various events at the national competition.
- What competitions are there? Link to national contest description https://www.skillsusa.org/competitions/skillsusa-championships/contest-descriptions/